Monday, April 4, 2011

Forgotten Things

Yummmm, breakfast I made on dishes I made. Nothing better than that!

Anyways, this post is mostly things I forgot to post the final version of. So I'll start from the oldest.

First is this small vase I made a few months back in this batch of pieces. I forgot to take photos of the two cups since I gave them away as presents, but the color looks pretty much the same. Bizen clay with X glaze and brush strokes of an iron based red color and undertones of a white glaze called kaorin.














Next is one of two pencil holders. Glaze C on bottom and Glaze Z on the top. Joshigaraki clay. RF firing

















The other pencil holder, Glaze L on bottom with glaze E on top. Joshigaraki clay. OF firing

















Last is a cup I made. Glaze I with accent glaze Z on the handle. Joshigaraki clay, RF firing.











Here is a close up of the glaze, as time passes the glaze cracks and you get this great accent. I love lighter glaze colors with white clay since you can see the cracking. It's a nice effect. Depending on the clay and glaze combo this doesn't always happen.






























Here is a green ware bowl that I carved recently. Its bizen clay. I decided to try something new. I put a slip of kaorin (a white mate glaze) on the inside and outside.

















I did two coats to make sure I get a nice white effect. Once this is bisque fired I'll either do a clear glaze or a light colored glaze over. The white will basically remain how it is.

















I also did this design on the side. I've seen this around on other pottery and I liked it a lot. It looks complicated but it's actually relatively easy. Refer to this blog entry on how it's done. To get this effect, put the slip on and let dry, then chip away. The white glaze won't run so the jagged marks will stay as is. I was hoping to get this into the noborigama, but it won't dry in time. Oh well. Either way, I'm excited to see how this turns out.

















Lastly, three new pieces I made on the wheel with a clay I haven't worked with in quite awhile, red stone clay. It's extremely grainy and rocky so it hurt my hands but once I get back into the swing of using it I'll get better. These turned out so so, but I decided to wait and see how they dry before I keep or trash them.

Until next time!

1 comment:

  1. Yum....nice big breakfast in your Own pottery...Nope.. can't beat that. ; )

    ReplyDelete