Wednesday, March 2, 2011

busy busy busy

It's been a busy few weeks so I haven't had much time to upload onto my blog here. Few new things...

My vase is almost finished, I spent a few hours sanding it last Saturday and discovered there's a few small holes so of course I had to fix those up. Arai Sensei showed me how

First you have to make the hole a little bigger. I know it sounds strange but in order for the clay to bond well with the vase you need to have a good area to put it in.









Next you have to wet the area with water and a brush.











Last, stick a small amount of clay inside the hole and smooth it out with something flat. It should look like this when it's done. The dark area where the hole was filled is a different color since it has to dry.

Make sure they clay you use to fill the hole is the same clay you used to make the piece. It's been a few days since I fixed the holes but the color is still different since I may have used the wrong clay...I won't know until it's bisque fired. But the holes are so small it shouldn't make a difference.













Next were some cups I made awhile back that I carved. Here is the first one, basic coffee cup with handle added.

















Last were two pencil jars I made. Swirly design. I used joshigaraki, these will dry and be bisque fired later.









Remember these two? Well they've been bisque fired, sanded and glazed.
Both are joshigaraki.










Slightly larger one's body is glaze G (white cream color) and the handle is L (green color) OF firing






Small one's body is also glaze G, but the handle is E (rusty red color) OF firing.






Glaze G is super thick but doesn't run so I had to scrape away a lot of glaze after these dried to make sure the pieces won't be lump after being fired. I've also never used this clay and these colors before so it should be fun to see how they turn out. (Good I hope!)








And finally, two larger bowls I made out of regular shigaraki. They're pretty thin so I'm a little worried about when I carve them.

Anyways, that's all for now! Next blog will be coming up soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment